Friday 12 July 2019

Bhindi Kurkure - Okra Fritters/Chips

It is not every day that you feel like a guest blogger in your  own blog, but that's exactly how I feel now. I even half expected Blogger to have changed it's looks and setting and braced myself to again learn my way around :) I've totally neglected my blog for the past one year. I have been trying to make a post for quite some time and it's like I've lost touch and can't get myself to write anything. I have so many posts lying in my drafts with pictures and the recipe. But for me a blog post is never complete without at least a small and interesting opening note. Though I call this a food blog and love sharing my recipes, the writing is what actually makes me love my blog. I really wonder if anybody actually bothers to read my blog with the internet filled with committed and regular food bloggers. Thanks to those kind souls who still stop by and drop me a like or a comment, you keep me going. And moreover it's still my little space where I can ramble as much a I please :) .If you have been reading my Blog you would have by this time got used to my long list of excuses of the cold or hot weather ,sickness or holidays and most often laziness. This time I have managed to come up with few new excuses to add to my list,one we've again shifted to a different house and secondly I'm back in the rat race after almost a decade. 'To work or not to work" had been a question that nagged me ever since I gave up my job to take care of my Kids. With both the kids in school for most part of the day I felt that it was time I got back to work. It did take some adjusting in the beginning like when you realise that you can actually use the restroom without having to hold a conversation with someone who's waiting for you right outside the door. Or like when you sit at your PC and half expect someone to scream "Can you come and play with me, you are free now". The best part is when you realise that you don't have to multi task. You don't have to cook, carry a toddler in your arm and try to answer philosophical questions from a 6 year old like "Why are we human beings on earth" while trying to ignore the phone that rings persistently in the back ground. But you also miss the surprise hugs and appreciation that kids give us. Nobody at work would give you the "Wonder Woman" look that your child gives you for a simple task like fetching a bottle of Ketchup from the topmost shelf. Well there are always two sides to a coin.
I have quite a few recipes lying in my post, but I realised to go with this one as I noticed that I've been posting a lot of sweet stuff. I'm not a great fan of frying food, frying happens very rarely at home. And luckily Okra falls under the list of "green" vegetables that my kids eat. It's actually the only vegetable that both my kids love eating. So I don't have to disguise it by frying. I usually make different types of stir fries with it, but tried this as a snack. And it turned to super yummy !The list of powders might look a bit daunting, but you might find most of them in your kitchen. You can mix and match with any powders of your choice for a different flavour :)


You'll Need:
Okra/Vendakka/Bhindi - 250 g
Besan/Gram Flour - 3 tbsp or more
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
Peanut Powder - 1 tsp(dry roast and grind peanuts)
Salt - a little more than a tsp or as Needed
Oil- For frying

Get Cooking:
-Wash the okra and pat them completely dry on paper or kitchen towels. 
-Remove the crown and the tail of the Okra and cut each okra lengthwise into four pieces.
-Add all the powders and mix well.
-Let the mixture sit for 10 - 30 minutes.
-Heat oil in a pan in medium heat and fry the Okra in batches until they are crisply fried.


Tips: 
-You can use any powder of your choice, you can replace the Peanut powder with Idli Podi, Paruppu podi or any other curry powder that you find in your kitchen.
-When frying let the oil heat up for 2 -3 minutes between the batches.
Happy Cooking !



8 comments:

  1. bookmarked!!, I really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally I do not learn post on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to
    check out and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me.
    Thank you, very great article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blog often and I really thank you for your information. The article has really peaked my interest.

    I'm going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information about once a week.
    I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the great piece of work, I read few blog posts on this site and I think that your web
    site is really interesting and has bands of superb
    info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey congrats on getting back to work. For me too, a blog post is not complete without some writeup or rambling at the beginning :) And this okra kurkure is my family favourite too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of it.
    I have you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent blog you've got here.. It's hard to find good quality writing like yours nowadays.
    I truly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bookmarked!!, Ӏ liқe yoᥙr site!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...