Wednesday 18 February 2015

Pepper Chicken Gravy - Dry

   The winter this year's been a little harsh when compared to last year.We usually escape the winter by running away to warm India for a month's vacation .I really miss the sun and its warmth this year and the winter here is '50 shades of Gray'.I was checking the best sellers (fiction)of all time list and was surprised to see 50 Shades of Grey on it for such a long time,not to mention that it's been made into a movie too.That book clearly belongs to the list of 'over-rated' things along with 'why this kolaveri di ?" song.I found Alchemist on the list and I really did feel that the book belongs on the list. I'm yet to meet a person who wasn't moved by the book,you wouldn't believe that such a tiny book would change your perspective of life(at least for  a few days :)).The next book I found was' Gone Girl' by 'Gillian Flynn' .I looked for it in the library and couldn't find it,so ended up borrowing another book by the same author 'Dark Places',the cover claimed that the book was even better than her previous ones. I'm only 20 pages through the book and it's too early to pass a judgement on the book.But the book doesn't really give me a good feeling.Why are books and movies that leave you with a bad or sad feeling critically acclaimed.Don't we read books and watch movies to escape from the harsh reality of life.I do respect and appreciate the effort behind these books and movies,but I rarely find them enjoyable.I recently watched a malayalam movie 'Artist',the movie had some wonderful acting skills and it's share of tragedies,but in the end it left me with a feeling of depression.Some times I feel movies with not so good a plot, but full of comedy like 'Happy New Year' are way better :)
  I hardly post regularly and when I do ,I end up rambling :) Coming to today's recipe,with the winter comes our regular share of cold and cough.And this peppery dish is real comfort food,I prepare this on weekends when it's real cold outside. It pairs up well with anything.So off to the recipe !


You'll Need:
Chicken - 400 - 500 g(with bone,cleaned and cut into small pieces)
Onion - 1 real big(finely chopped)
Tomato - 1 big(finely chopped)
Garlic - 4 - 6 medium sized cloves
Ginger - the equal amount as garlic - one 1 -2 " piece,scraped and chopped
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 3/4 tsp
Curry Leaves Powder - 1 tsp(optional)
Turmeric Powder -1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - leaves from a sprig
Oil - 2 -3 tbsp
Salt - as needed

To Dry Roast and Powder :
Whole Pepper Corns - 1 - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon - 1 1" piece
Cloves,Cardamom - 1 each
Fennel - 3/4 tsp

Method:
-In a pan of slow heat,dry roast the ingredients to be dry roasted and ground to a semi coarse powder.
-Grind the Ginger and garlic to a fine paste - about 2 tsps.
-In a pan add the oil and when it heats up splutter the curry leaves.Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté until they turn sightly brown.
-Add the Ginger Garlic paste and sauté for 3 -4 minutes, until well browned.
-Add the Tomatoes and mix well.Add the Turmeric powder,Red Chilli powder,Curry leaves powder and Coriander powder.And mix well.Cover and simmer on low heat for 3 -4 minute or until the mixture starts to ooze out oil.
-Add the chicken pieces and mix well.Add very little water if needed.Cover and simmer on low heat until it its 3/4 done.Keep removing the lid and stirring it as it tends to burn.Sprinkle water when needed.When it is 3/4 done add the dry roasted powder and mix well .Let it cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
-This is a thick gravy,to make it more thinner add required water before adding the dry roasted powder  and mix well. Done !


Thanks for stopping by ! Have a nice day !

4 comments:

  1. mouthwatering one...got to wait till Easter,perfect with some fried rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to catch up with the 50 shades of gray movie when its released. And let me see how it fairs. This chicken dish is yum and those flavors are to drool for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you on the topic we have enough drama in real life, I dont know what kind of mental state the audience has to pay and see more of it.I have stopped watching malayalam movies until someone strongly recommends it I dont have the patience to endure maenlishh females:)). 50 sg is kolaveri super hype only, hoping the movie will do some justice.
    Pepper chicken dry version looks so yuumm apt for the waether....winter is killing here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Récipe named istelf calling me badly..love d combo..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...