Tuesday 28 May 2013

Tomato Pickle - Thakkali Oorugai

Makes about 300 g
We finished the last batch of pickles and I realized that once you start having pickles you can't do without them. It becomes like an important part of a meal.I wanted to make mango pickle as it's relatively easier to make and stays good for a long time. But then tomato pickle is my hubby's favorite,he claims that the sweet and spicy flavour of it makes it a great accompaniment for anything from dosas to rice:)I usually make another version of this ,more of what we call a 'Thokku ' in tamil which has onions and garlic.But this is an easier and yummy version with only tomatoes.It stays good for 3 -4 weeks in the refrigerator.But believe me you will find yourself finishing it way before 4 weeks :)



You'll need:

Tomatoes - 1/2 kg - about 5 big firm ones
powdered salt - 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 2 tbsp ( you can add more )
Tamarind - 50 g
Sesame oil - 90 ml
Fenugreek seeds - 1.5 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1.5 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida - 1 tsp

Method:
-Clean the tomatoes and pat them dry.Make sure the knife and other utensils used are moisture free.


-Chop the tomatoes finely.
-Add the tamarind to 100 ml of water and let it boil on  a medium flame for 4- 5 minutes.Let it cool.Squeeze it well and strain to extract the tamarind juice
-Dry roast the fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds separately and grind them together to a fine powder.
-To a pan add oil and when it heats up, add the asafoetida. Stir for a few seconds and add the tomatoes.Saute them well until they turn soft this will take around 7- 10 minutes on a medium flame
-Now add the tamarind juice and mix well.Add the salt and chilli powder and mix well.
-Now reduce the flame and let it boil for 10 - 15 minutes or until you see oil floating on top of the mixture. The oil will completely separate from the mixture and it will start leaving the bottom of the vessel.


-Add the fenugreek and mustard seed powder and mix well ,for another 2 minutes.
-Remove from the stove ,let it cool and store in an airtight container.



                         Thanks for stopping by ! Have a great day !

Sending this to Dish Name Starts with T

24 comments:

  1. This is my all-time favorite.. Interesting recipe.. I made some tomato chutney yesterday.. Your post is inspiring me to make some pickle now Reni :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the lovely comment Nilu !

      Delete
  2. yum yum... my fav looks so gud...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a lovely pickle... bookmarking it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see the explosion of flavors because the color is so mesmerizing. I have to try this version. The ones I usually make are very mild in taste and just tempted to try for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks tasty ! Now I know how to make it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautifully flavored pickle...fell in love with the colour

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love to have it with my idli.. The colour has come out very well..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, look at the color, just perfect!! Homemade is always perfect!!
    I have never made pickle in my life, but yours want me to make at home!
    Also the clicks are pristine!!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot dear :) I started making pickles only before 6 months,until then I was scared of making them :)

      Delete
  9. Mouth watering recipe and nice photography...You have an amazing blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for stopping by Aysha !

      Delete
  10. Ooooo..drooling here Reniiii...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never had a tomato pickle!! this looks tasty...

    ReplyDelete

  12. Rarely this type of blogs are found with a great information.I would love to suggest people to read your blog and share the information. You want to Enjoy tasty home made pickle India ? Now you can Buy pickles directly from India’s favorite traditional pickle makers right from the comfort of your home.pickling spice recipe India

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow excellent recipe! Thanks for sharing with us, when I started reading from this perspective, a very interesting website picklemasti caught my eye. I visited website, I came to know they are offering a sample of Mango Pickle (100gms) at doorstep absolutely FREE!!!! Free Indian pickle offer is limited! Grab this opportunity

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...