Tuesday 10 May 2016

Baked Broccoli Patties

The other day I was out with my 5 year old in the park, when she asked me "Mummy, why aren't you wearing shorts like the other mothers,It's a warm day and it's sure to be more comfortable." I grabbed the opportunity to give her a nice pep talk about how conservative and beautiful Indian culture was when she promptly asked me why the Leading ladies in most Indian movies are dressed in shorts,but she's hardly seen anyone in India wearing shorts.Made me realise how Indian Culture seems to be forever at this point where we try to simultaneously cling to our conservativeness and embrace the western Independence.It's funny how most movies paint a picture that in no way depicts a country or it's culture.On a funny note,if we were to go just by movies, we'd probably think that :

Tamil Movies -  
   -The only thing that matters in our life is to find the love or our life and marry them again all opposition, with cars flying and bombs blasting.
   -Chennai is full of Dons and their Henchmen, and all of them carry a gun(In a all my days in Chennai I've never ever seen a real gun:( )
  -Most Tamil men are machos, who can fly,fight and do everything with no gadgets or scientific intervention.Not to mention the 50 year old hero who's a college student :)
Telugu movies - I haven't watched a lot but from the few popular ones that I've watched.
 -  Most of them live in joint families in big Doll houses.
 -  All men do is to fight over women.
Hindi movies -
  Honestly I don't know what to make of them any more.The last time I watched a movie I had a  doubt if I was watching a movie or a fashion show .
Hollywood Movies -
  -Most men are skilled,intelligent ex FBI or CIA agents
 - Aliens and space ships are for real
  -Let's not get into science fiction and movies like SAW :)
Malayalam movies -
 These seem to be as close to reality as possible,but some of the latest ones makes me feel that they are fighting the temptation to make movies like their counterparts in the Tamil and Telugu industry.

Ironically I'm not a movie buff and I would've hardly watched a handful movies  before I married a movie buff who watches movies in every possible language :)nd I Would be unfair if I don't mention that there are a lot of good movies too in all these languages which really call for appreciation.



Coming to the recipe, this is a very quick and healthy dish.Makes a  great starter or side dish.It tastes yummier when shallow fried.I feel that ,Broccoli despite being very healthy doesn't gel well with Indian spices.I usually do a stir fry with lots of Garlic and pepper,Broccoli and garlic pair up real well.This is a yummier alternative and both my 1 year old and 5 year old loved it :)



Makes 12 - 14 patties
You'll Need:
Broccoli - Half a big one - 12 - 15 Florets
Egg - 1
Olive oil -  1 tsp
Bread slices - 3, or bread crumbs
Cheese grated ( Cheddar/ Paneer/ Parmesan) - 80 g
salt as needed

Method:
-In a big vessel boil water, add the broccoli florets,cover with a  lid and remove from the stop.Let it sit for 3 - 4 minutes.Remove the florets with a slotted ladle.Add it to a mixer jar and pulse for a few seconds.
-Toast the bread on stove top or in  an oven,pulse it in a mixer jar to get breadcrumbs.
-In  a bowl mix the broccoli,cheese and bread crumbs.Add salt as needed and the egg.Mix everything well with a fork.
-Make small patties and arrange them on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
-Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175°C,for 20 - 25 minutes.After the first 15 minutes flip them over for even cooking.
-They taste even yummier when shallow or deep fried :)


Have a nice day ! Thanks for stopping by !

2 comments:

  1. Hehe... It is difficult to answer kids... just like for us, where we cover all, Rasha sometimes is frustrated that she is fully covered while other kids her age are half covered, then I have to explain her why we need to be so, then she points at Azza and asks, then why is she not covered? :D And better not talk about movies, how good the movie may be, I sometimes cringe at the clothes they were, it is close to nil! :( These patties sound really delicious but getting the folks to eat broccoli is such a challenge... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious broccoli patties, it is always difficult to answer the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...